2009/12/18 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:
> Yeah but then if there are curvy bits – which I want to be maximally zoomed
> in for – that doesn't work. Personally I'm not seeing a lot of harm in
> excess nodes. Of all the things you could do wrong, it ranks pretty low in
> harm.

You're right, there is no harm in it, but you were commenting on
adding too many nodes because you are zoomed in too much, this can be
more of an issue the further toward the centre of the country you go,
because the roads get straighter and longer.

> John referred to a simplify feature in Potlatch, which I can't find. There's
> "tidy" which only works when the entire way is straight, or circular. And I
> see a reference in a mailing list to a simplify function for converting GPX
> traces. Is there really such a feature for ways?

Not sure if it's called tidy or what not I don't use potlatch, try the
main talk list, but the simplify options should simplify nodes within
a margin of error. ie 5-10m or what not between the next point and
previous point, although there is some much more complex mathematical
formula to do this with a nicer end result.