On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Dale <hang...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> "How do we distinguish between National Parks, State Parks, State
> Forests and
> the like?
> Have started adding forest areas from the landsat imagery and have been
> attributing as "natural=wood", but I haven't found anything that
> would allow
> me to better distinguish these areas. Obviously a National park is
> totally
> different from a State Park in terms of what can/not be done. It
> would also
> be good to link the polygons off to the relevant web site (such as
> www.parkweb.vic.gov.au in the case of Victoria).
> This issue isn't as simple as stipulating a "manager" because some
> National
> Parks not managed by Parks Victoria etc.
> Thoughts?
> Cheers"

Boy, the replies to this question were seriously off-base. Ok, there are a
few issues. First, "natural=" just describes what's on the land, like trees
or not, so isn't useful. The right tag would be something like
"landuse=reserve", although this appears to be still under debate:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Nature_reserve

Separately there is the question of how to distinguish state parks from
national parks etc. I don't think there's a proper tag for this yet, but if
there were, it might be "nature_reserve=state_park". Presumably most
countries have something equivalent.

I would be less interested in tagging who manages it, and more interested in
tagging the legislation that appears to it. Afaik, "national park" has a
specific legal meaning, even if all Victiorion NPs are managed by Parks
Victoria etc.

So far I've been tagging them fairly indiscriminately as leisure=park, but
giving them the full title in their name, on the basis that it will be
fairly easy to mass update them once we work out an appropriate tagging
scheme.

Steve