2010/1/5 Craig Feuerherdt <craigfeuerhe...@gmail.com>:
> John is right about the distinction between the "landuse" & "natural" tags.
> "landuse" is about what is on the ground (trees, farming etc). I am assuming
> national/state/other parks/areas should be attributed with the "natural"
> tag, but "natural=what"?

This has been discussed several times on the main list.  The problem
is that landuse is used for two (sometimes contradictory) purposes -
what is one the ground (cover) and what it is used for (use).  Some
landuse tags are one, some the other, some are both. There is a bit of
a push to try and sort this out, but nothing has come of it yet that I
know about.

For large parks, I would think that you would want to map the
boundaries as an admin boundary, and the landuse of the various parts
of the park as a separate issue. It's not uncommon to have a single
large batch of trees, some of which are in a park and some not, or in
a separate park  (eg one national and one state).  And to have various
parts of a park to have different landuse - recreation areas, natural
preserves, etc.

Stephen