On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 04:49:11 +0800, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> I don't know about everyone else, but I see the tagging there as a
>> pretty normal shortcut. I've done the same thing myself. New housing
>> developments often contain dozens of roundabouts. Better to tag them
>> as mini_roundabout than not to tag them at all. And since, in potlatch
>> at least, you can tag a mini_roundabout with one click and one
>> keypress ('r') — compared to probably at least a dozen clicks for a
>> full roundabout — it seems worth it.
>>

> Steve, you draw out one roundabout.
> You copy and paste that roundabout all through the housing estate.
> Now you draw the lines which connect them to make the roads.
>
> Easier.

Better is drawing a diamond shape in Potlatch, then pressing 't' to tidy
it. Presto! A nice tidy circle! Put the diamond points on the roundabout
itself and the circle will overlay the road correctly. More complex
roundabouts with dual carriageways entering are no problem, either.

My opinion, in this seemingly endless debate, is that those roundabouts
that are merely painted circles are mini_roundabouts, regardless of if
they exist in Australian Road standards or not. However, once you add an
island and kerbing, they become a full roundabout, and need (IMHO) to be
fully drawn and tagged appropriately. That's how I've been doing them
anyway.

$0.02
--
Andrew Gregory <mailto:and...@scss.com.au>