On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 22:37 +1000, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:46 PM, David Murn <da...@incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> > While I agree that its useful to represent curves and bends properly in
> > the traffic flow, this seems a bit excessive.  Youre going from having 9
> > roundabouts with 36 nodes, to having 9 roundabouts using 162 nodes, for
> > no reason other than so it renders a little bit nicer?
>
> It's not just "rendering" - it also affects how it appears on a GPS.
> Presumably more accurate circles mean more accurate distance
> calculations, too.

The distance difference between a diamond and a circle is about the same
as using the inside/outside lane, ie. unless you were looking at the
distance over a road with a high number of round-abouts in a very short
distance, I dont think youd really notice a couple of meters here or
there.

> > One question I do have though, is why put the roundabouts in, and not
> > split up the entry/exit ways?
>
> Individual lanes mapped as separate ways considered harmful.

Aussie tagging guidelines say (and Ive checked, no wikifiddling of this
part for over 12 months):

# Roundabouts should be drawn out in full, make the way go clockwise,
# and the correct direction of movement is then shown on the map. Mark
# it junction=roundabout
#
# Please read the following page as well. Tag:junction=roundabout
#
# Note: each entry and exit way should join the roundabout at a separate
# node.

Where is there discussion about the 'harmful' effect of tagging each
entry/exit way?  Ive had a quick look but only came across that comment.

David