On 30/04/10 13:55, Steve Bennett wrote:

> Not sure what the technical definition of "island" or "concrete
> circle" is. These particular examples are ever so slightly raised
> (perhaps 15cm) and have a slight kerb.

Then they're roundabouts, as defined in the Aust Road Rules.

> If we want to define a mini_roundabout as one that is strictly only painted
> (not sure I've
> seen such a thing here), then fair enough - but let's put in in the
> wiki. "Roundabouts should be drawn out in full" is not sufficient.

Technically, if they're just painted they're not roundabouts in Aust.
By all means, tag them as mini-roundabouts if you will.  But be aware
that the specific road rules for roundabouts don't apply.

> Not sure that makes sense, but I accept the explanation that you don't
> need many nodes for most sensible zoom levels. It's only really in
> something like Potlatch at high zoom levels that it's noticeable.
> (Although aesthetically it still seems right to use more nodes, but
> that's probably just a question of taste.)

I usually tag small, 4-entry roundabouts with just those 4 nodes.
Bigger ones normally get 8 nodes from me, and probably more still if the
connecting roads are flared (so that entry and exit points are duly
separated).

Curve smoothness is a compromise.

John H