On Tue, 3 May 2011 18:28:09 +0100
Grant Slater <openstreet...@firefishy.com> wrote:

> On 27 April 2011 05:42, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir <maxi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Grant Slater
> > <openstreet...@firefishy.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Wait, why did the Australian government stop using CC-by-SA and
> >> move to CC-by? I actually wasn't aware of this, maybe because
> >> CC-by-SA adds needless restrictions and ambiguity on using the
> >> data?
> >
> > Basically yes - having to choose between the different variants was
> > causing alot of confusion to individual authors; see recommendations
> > 6.3-6.7 @
> > http://www.finance.gov.au/publications/gov20taskforcereport/chapter5.htm
> >
> >> The AU government also provides the data under other specific
> >> terms on request. Mike of LWG has made a formal request. Notes in
> >> today's LWG meeting minutes.
> > I can't see them on
> > http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Group_Minutes yet ....
>
> The draft minutes are out:
> ------
> Section 8...
>    * Imported Dataset Licensing
>    ** Australia Gov allows specific licensing. In mid December 2010
> Mike wrote a formal letter to the following address but has not
> received a reply. He will follow up.
>         Commonwealth Copyright Administration,
>         Attorney General’s Department,
>         National Circuit,
>         Barton
>         ACT 2600
>         AUSTRALIA
> ------
> Questions / comment likely best addressed to Mike on this item.
>
> / Grant

Mike and Grant obviously have zero understanding of the bureaucracy
guarding the data.
I refer them to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk
which clearly describes the length of the process.

Being realists at this end, we have the data, we accept the licence
from the Commonwealth of Australia.
Just remind yourselves that if CC-by and CC-by-SA are good enough for
our government, they are good enough for us, without spending any money
on lawyers to help us make the decision.