Ross wrote "  The originator of the bot made a mistake with this and was
going to fix it
but the pre licence change lockout prevented this "

Ross, that's not my understanding of the situation at all.....
"On 25 August 2010 14:40, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> John are you going to do this?"

JohnSmith replied

"I'm stuck on 3G atm, I may not be able to get to it for a week or more
depending on what happens until I get access to a DSL connection
again."

JohnSmith's last edit before lockout was on June 19th 2011

Therefore I believe that JohnSmith had no intention of fixing these errors
in OSM.

In fact it would not matter if he did so anyway. By applying his edits over
probably
hundreds of thousands of ways and then refusing to relicence these edits he
has made the task of
making the OSM data compliant quite tricky.
It now relies on the DWG removing JohnSmith's maxspeed bot edits without
destroying
other mappers subsequent efforts. In the meantime it would be a huge
advantage if potlatch or some other
OSM viewer could just ignore all maxspeed edits in the process of
determining which ways need to be remapped.

Nick