On 15 August 2012 06:01, Michael Krämer <ohr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> first of all a quick introduction: I'm one of those armchair mappers trying
> to assist in cleaning up the mess after the redation bot.

Welcome.

> When doing so I've noticed that most of the state and territory borders are
> gone. I could already reconstruct the straight parts from remaining segments
> and nodes. But the non-straight parts are still missing, so there isn't much
> left of ACT at the moment, for example.

Some work has been put in by some OSMers in the past getting accurate
border information, not always from the ABS data. There were borders
in OSM prior to any ABS import, which are likely clean and could also
be used as an alternative if we can dig them out of a full history
file!

Does anybody have better recall of this than me?  Is there any harm in
importing for now, and doing any fixes/replacement required later?

Ian.