On 04/10/19 17:20, Andrew Harvey wrote:
Fair points, so I agree to revert back the previous guidelines. I see highway=path used a lot for unsignposted bush walking track (single person wide, definitely not wide enough for vehicles), though for something that's unpaved then highway=path and highway=footway mean the same thing to me.

Highway=footway and highway=path can have additional secondary tags that make them the same thing. The highway=path came along as an idea of mapping footways with particular secondary tag as defaults so they would not have to be added to highway=footway. And thus OSM has the present confusion.

Do not confuse the OSM terms with any legal terms e.g. path in OSM vs path in ACT legal terms.

Fine with wiki reversion...