On 05/10/19 10:03, Herbert.Remi via Talk-au wrote:
# Principle of tagging
1. Tagging should be consistent with the laws of the jurisdiction
2. Tagging should not be code but be explicit
3. Tagging should be useful
4. Tagging should be intuitive
5. Tagging should be easy (regional presets)

I will comment on the first two.

## Principle 1
ONE set of rules for tagging paths across all Australia is not possible ie each state needs its own section on the ATG. Australia is a federation. Each state makes its own road rules.

You are confusing law with mapping. A "path' in OSM is not a 'path' necessary in some Australian law. The definitions can be different.
State road rules override the “Australian Road Rules”. You cannot sign everything. Even when it is not signed, the laws still apply with penalties and potential prosecution and imprisonment (8 months in one recent example, 2019). Most states laws are not signed.

The ACT the law is clear. All paths can be used by cyclists, pedestrians, but any wheeled vehicle that is not motorised, without exception.

An OSM highway=path with the tag bicycle=no should not be used by a bicycle! You see OSM's 'path' is not necessarily an ACT law's 'path'!!!

Combustion motored vehicles are not permitted on paths of all types. Electric motored skateboards, bikes, mobility devices, and soon scooters ARE permitted. The motors have power limits (not sure what, around 200W).

250 Watts

Speed limits apply for footpaths of 25kmh for all e-devices.

I think you will find that wrong. The power assistance must cut out at 25 kmh .. does not stop the rider going faster under their own power.

A speed limit can be imposed on a section .. but that would be for all, just as it is for cars, e.g. a Toyota Echo has the same speed limit imposed as a VW Vernon.

The liability situation is also clear. If a bike hits a pedestrian the cyclist is always at fault.

Always? A cyclist may have to 'give way' to a pedestrian .. that does not stop a pedestrian leaping in front of the cyclist give the cyclist no reaction time.
I think not 'always', there may be exceptions.

I think your understanding is very limited. And I don't think you know enough to make changes to the wiki.