Good question

To be clear I am a Kiwi (New Zealand) who lives in Australia (and has spent
many years in the US) so my interpretation may be slightly muddled....

In general I consider a 'Park' to be a local area, generally managed by the
city or shire (county). Playgrounds, gardens, dog walking etc. Generally it
is for some form of recreation and/or green space in a city or urban area.
For example I would ask the kids to walk the dog in the park.

In terms of county parks, state parks, etc we have slightly
different terminology. Part of this is related to a much smaller layer of
government and ownership (City/Shire, State, Commonwealth).  We don't have
the multitude of Federal agencies (USFS, NPS, BLM etc) or layers of
city, country, state, federal government. In most cases 'National Parks'
are managed by State authorities (equivalent to State Parks in US parlance)
, and several (IIRC) National Parks managed by Commonwealth (Federal)
Authorities (like NPS). States Forests are managed by State
Authorities (although some are privatised).

That said the use of 'park' to describe any public land is well understood
in AU.

G.