Hi Steve

I will leave the nuances of tagging National parks and protected areas to
those much more experienced than me (most of my tagging is roads and
trails) but happy to illustrate some examples.

It does seem that leisure=nature_reserve is common.

1. Great Sandy National Park -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1507019 which is tagged
boundary=protected_area, leisure=nature_reserve and protection=National
Park. I see there is some discussion on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=nature%20reserve?uselang=en on
the use of boundary=national_park.. For National Parks this seems to be
consistent (for example https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1506584 or
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7006909)

2. Jimna State Forest - https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1506563
similar to above but protection_title=State Forest. Again this seems to be
consistent across State Forests

3. Habitat Drive Park (my local park) -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5327709 tagged with leisure=park.
Again this seems to be consistent with local parks.

Looking at US examples - my favorite US 'Park' - Roosevelt National Forest
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/395767 and there is similar tagging.
In NZ https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10657056 or
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3659089 seem to be missing the
protection_title=.
South Africa - https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/421549, Canada -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6365995 and UK -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/86909 are all similar

So it seems there is reasonably consistency across the english speaking
world with regards to 'Parks'

G.