On 24/10/2020 04:49, Brendan Barnes wrote:

Back to my original post which I was seeking advice on, I was requesting clarity of mapping an official hiking route, which a small section of it happens to not follow a defined track/path and a compass bearing is required. The hiking route is _official_: it has NSW NPWS signage which I have personally surveyed at the start of the segment denoting the "off track" route, the Australian Alps National Parks Cooperative Management Program publishes a map also detailing it, and all popular hiking guides have it listed, too. This small off track section forms part of the official route.

I've taken Andrew's advice and added fuzzy=500 to the way.

Thanks - there's nore usage of that than I was expecting (see https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/fuzzy ), although only 14 of those are lines rather than polygons.

On the other side of the world I've tended to use trail_visibility tags (which I think were mentioned earlier) to achieve the same thing; see e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/430909045 .  Something that renders the route but not the local path will show that as https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=54.40165&lon=-0.93245 .

Best Regards,

Andy