On 29/10/21 9:42 pm, Phil Wyatt wrote:
Hi Folks,

In this case I would again defer to the locals who are working with the local
land managers.

Some of the tracks in question have been closed for years and its likely in the
case of any search and rescue then the same people who removed the track would
be called in to assist (at least in Australia). You also will not see them if
doing a desktop edit from aerial imagery.

Having worked in this field in Australia for over 30 years most of your
arguments do not hold any validity in a real world sense (in Australia), it may
be different in other parts of the world.

In most cases you are allowed to legally travel ANYWHERE, including off track,
within a national park (with minimal exceptions), however we do not mark on the
map every possibility between all known destinations. That would make the map
look like a spiders web. This would also not help search and rescue efforts.

Leave it to the locals to decide the best course of action

Yes and no.

The local land care group and managers may well be very good at what they do, but may not have the best mapping skills.

It should be a two way street, advice in both directions.

For instance a mapper who marks a trail in a National Park access=no as they are thinking of 4WDs .. not walkers nor management vehicles.

Cheers - Phil