Hi,

On 29.10.21 12:33, fors...@ozonline.com.au wrote:
> 1. "a park manager would prefer them not to, and therefore deletes the
> track in order to keep people from exercising their rights".
>
> Does this happen, has it ever happened? I would be surprised if it
> happened here. Anyway its not what I thought we were talking about,
> illegal trails.

This has definitely happened in Germany though the legal situation is
not always crystal clear - in most cases, a park or forest manager would
have the legal right to close something if they can show that there's
imminent danger to plant or wildlife, and in practice many will be more
assertive about this than the law allows (a.k.a. "there's danger to
plant or wildlife because I say so"). So you'll have the local manager
claim that "this is an illegal trail" and the local hikers saying "but
the law says we can use the forest for recreation and your reasoning is
bogus".

This has led to situations where the local manager would not dare put up
signs that say "path closed" because they know it would be challenged,
but they subtly try to achieve the same by deleting the path from OSM.

Bye
Frederik