On Dec 17, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 at 06:27, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:
> My goodness, there are hundreds of them!

> Thought there would have been!
>
> Do you know if many have been mapped, & if so, as what?
>
> I can see that most of those listed are for towns or villages, which would be
> =municipal, but how about the "Nation" flags - Hopi Nation, Navajo Nation etc?
>
> There's been a few suggestions for =indigenous for the two Aussie flags, but
> so far, that tag has only been used twice, both near Sydney!

I'm (still?) not quite sure under exactly what circumstances OSM "maps a flag,"
though I have been watching this thread with some curiosity.  And I
participated by saying more-or-less "very pretty" about the two Aussie
Indigenous flags that were linked:  I'm no vexillologist, but these two really
are beautiful flags.

I'd guess an OverpassTurbo query can be constructed to look for the "flags
tags" you're seeking, but I'd be a bit reluctant to do this over the whole of
the USA, lest we dim the lights at the server farm where OT is located (or pop
a circuit breaker! — I do tongue-in-cheek exaggerate here).  Nationwide
searches across vast, geographically large areas like USA or Australia are
better done in "state-sized chunks."  (Or something like that, eating the
elephant one bite at a time).  So, it could be done.  I simply don't know "for
what tags."

I do not speak for these nations/peoples.  I'm not sure that these are "for
towns or villages" (and hence WHAT "=municipal"), as they seem to represent an
entire "nation" (what the Canadians and maybe Australians call "First
Nations").  So, while, for example, a Navajo Nation flag might fly at one of
their "Chapter Houses" (there are over a hundred of these "local
administration" kinds of "town halls" — that's a very loose interpretation of
the phrase), I'm not sure whether this use case (and what tag, again?) would be
"municipal" (sounds about right for a Chapter House, I'm not sure, as all the
admin_level stuff is a long way from being worked out, as indeed it likely
CAN'T be worked out because of how native Americans and the federal government
in the USA share "parallel sovereign administration").  So, "something" might
be "municipal," OK, and "something" might be akin to "national" (because we
describe these as "native people's nations" or similar).  But I really don't
know what, it is distinctly complicated, and as OSM often wants to make
something "one or the other" (sometimes even with tag collisions that force a
choice), the real-world administrative relationships between "native peoples"
and "USA" often end up with "the answer is, BOTH."

I do find the flags beautiful, though!  (Maybe I am a secret vexillologist and
don't even know it).

What I might say I can glean from this thread that applies to Australia AND the
USA is that in those contexts where OSM needs to distinguish between a national
flag and an "indigenous" flag, yes, saying flag:type=indigenous on Native
American flags appears to be the correct tag.  Again, I'm not sure what these
contexts are, but it does appear they exist.  My apologies if it seems I'm
wishy-washy here:  the topic is nuanced and quite complex.