Traditionally the 'homestead' is the main residential building and is usually named the same or similar to the farm. I have been mapping in NSW the building as building=farm and name=x from the DCS Base Map for location and name with DCS Imagery for the footprint. When you zoom in on the Base Map the name will be associated with one building by proximity and the building will be a filled in black square, other non residential buildings tend to be hollow black squares.

The homestead might get 'homestead' appended to the name, and the farm might have appended 'Station' or 'Down'. I think this depends on how old you are and your local knowledge. My first visit many years ago to Mount Wood in the north west of NSW is a case in point .. I was told 'Mount Wood Station' for the farm and 'Mount Wood Homestead' for the residence... IIRC 'Station' is for cattle and 'Down' is for sheep...

Outback farms tend to have the mail box on the main road and that can be quite some distance from the homestead.