Generally, I would suggest a node at the hub of the farm (usually in the
vicinity of the main residence)
place=farm
name=*
operator=*

In regard to farm boundaries, I think it has been OSM practice not to map
lot/property boundaries.

Most farms today don't employ many people and employees frequently live in
nearby towns etc. so place=farm is appropriate.  In more isolated areas, some
very large farms may still accommodate workers and sometimes their families -
in such cases place=isolated_dwelling might be appropriate as I think it
implies a larger population than a farm. I'd suggest that it has many years
since Australian farms had enough residents to be considered as hamlets. In
fact, increasingly farms have no residents. In some cases multiple farms are
operated from a single homestead but, if each farm is separately named, I think
each should still be separately mapped. Farms with animals such as dairy cattle
or poultry etc may need people on site overnight but grazing cattle and crops
such as cotton/wheat/rice etc may not need people in the immediate vicinity -
and security cameras and alarms are increasingly used so that people can go to
off-farm homes at night. The "homestead" may become an administrative office
plus staff facilities when there is no-one resident on the property.

In some cases, where public roads go through farms (usually cattle grids and
signs at the respective boundaries), I have added  is_in:farm=*  on the section
of road that is within the particular farm, but the "is_in" tag seems now less
used than in the past.  Perhaps there is a case for mapping lot/property
boundaries where the properties are very large farms but I will leave that for
others to advocate. In South Australia's pastoral district, each farm has its
own "suburb" boundaries in the official government suburb/locality database -
but I am not aware of any farm boundaries designated in this way in any other
state.