I don’t know what Oz'll end up doing, but I’ve been mapping landuse=farm, which
became landuse=farmland, since 2009.  I’ve also used landuse=farmyard (renders
in Carto as a “stronger tan-orange” compared to “faint orange” for farmland),
but I initially restricted my use of farmyard to what (in US English) I think
of as a “farmyard:”  areas used to store equipment, like irrigation-related,
maybe a barn or roof-only that keeps a tractor dry, “tool staging,” maybe dry
area or bins to store feed, etc.  It turns out, and I only learned in 2020 to
tag inside of a landuse=farmland with landuse=farmyard on a polygon that
encloses the “residential” area (not actually tagged landuse=residential, but
it might as well be that) for the building=house, or “farm house” where the
people who live on this “family farm” sleep at night.  Our wiki [1] told me
this, and I myself have added a few landuse=farmyard polygons (with a farmhouse
inside) after (recently) learning that this is well-used (and well-documented)
tagging.

See, because landuse=residential for the farmhouse would collide with
landuse=farmland (which renders?), doing it with farmyard-inside-farmland works
to identify the farmhouse (area).  Try it, after seeing the photo in the wiki,
it makes sense, and the rendering (more color saturation where the people are)
is visually pleasing, if not more semiotically sensible.

Of course, there’s lots of other good tagging senses for “country homesteads"
identified in this thread.  Use what works, don’t use what doesn’t.  OSM is
nice like that, but it is good to share and discuss, especially on national
mail-lists, where a lot of nodding and agreeing happens.  You’ve got “sheep
stations” and such, it may very well be that Down Under develops its own
(not-too-quirky, but uniquely Strine) methods of tagging “country homesteads.”

Happy mapping.

[1] https://wiki.osm.org/farmyard and see the photo in the “When to use…”
section