Hi all,

The "best" tagging for some of these paths are inherently subjective, as there isn't a tagging method that captures the subtleties involved.

Firstly, distinguishing between a "foot way" and a sidewalk is a subjective decision. How far from a road does a parallel path be before it is no longer a sidewalk, for example.

Secondly, there are multiple overlapping jurisdictions. In addition to each state's road laws, each council's local laws may prohibit or allow cyclists in specific areas. I don't expect an average mapper to have a law degree, and, though it should be easy, it may not able to work out the exact legality of riding a bicycle in all situations.

The best mapping will always rely on discretion. I don't believe it is correct to assume a lack of signage is, on its own, enough to tag one way or another. At most, I would suggest a "bicycle=permissive" restriction to indicate the unclear legality on even well used paths.

I don't think going around adding a specific bicycle permissions to every footway is particularly productive. A routing service could easily make this a non-issue by offering an "ignore sidewalk" button.

Dian

On 2022-10-09 09:43, Sebastian Azagra via Talk-au wrote:

An interesting post by aharvey in that thread.

https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/use-of-bicycle-designated-vs-bicycle-yes-outside-of-germany/3230/38

regards,

Sebastian

On 9 Oct 2022, at 9:19 am, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:

To open another can of worms, just spotted this linked from discussions on a completely different proposal:

https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/use-of-bicycle-designated-vs-bicycle-yes-outside-of-germany/3230/23

So, what is the relation between designated & yes?

Thanks

Graeme