On 5/10/23 18:01, cleary wrote:
the small central district? Or is it the much larger Tamworth LGA? I
think it would include the suburbs but not the outlying
towns/villages in the LGA. There are also city/suburbs such as "City
of Ryde" which is the name of a local government area in the Sydney
metropolitan area but the actuality is that, for all practical
purposes, Ryde is a suburb of Sydney.

The ABS has population stats at different geographical levels. For Tamworth we have LGA:

Tamworth Regional: 63,070

This would be the population you would put on the admin_level 6 boundary. From the suburb and localities you get:

Tamworth: 189

This would be the population that would go on the admin_level 9 boundary. From the urban centres and localities you get:

Tamworth: 35,415

This is the population of the settlement, which I have been adding to the place node. The UCL is the ABS's attempt to answer the question "what is the population of ....?"

Leaving aside cities and suburbs, our discussion has mainly been
about non-city rural areas. While  there may be some fuzziness around
the population of the business and residential districts of a
settlement and whether the population in its surrounding areas should
be counted, I would support population numbers as a reasonably
objective and useful determinant of town/village/hamlet status.

How to subdivide an urban settlement into subdivisions is another set of problems.

I would prefer a system based on just population, but I got the feeling that we wouldn't get agreement on that, as we have mappers who want to adjust.