I’ve prepared a partial revert for Apsley Falls, ready for upload. (Keeping the
trail near the cliff, leaving the eastern non-visible trail deleted)

The tags would return to what they were before NPWS deleted them.
highway=path
foot=yes
informal=yes
trail_visibilty=intermediate
surface=dirt

With additional tags:
hazard=cliff (not listed on the wiki, but there are 36 uses in Taginfo)
access=discouraged
note=access discouraged by NPWS

with a link in the changeset notes to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Why_can%27t_I_delete_this_trail%3F +
mention of this discussion.

Any objections / changes before I go ahead?

Mark P.