Hi all,

I have just been reading all of the 'vzw' talk that has been going on.
So after holidays now it't time for my reaction.

First of all, I think the most important advantage of having an
'official form' is in the contacts. It makes it easyer to go to official
instances, press, other organisations, ... if one can speak/write on
behalf of an organisation.

On the other hand te reverse is true too. If a map-maker (...) thinks
his copyright or commercial interests are violated by OSM it makes it
more easy for them too to sue, wether they are right or not. But even if
they are wrong it may put you in the courtroom. If a map-maker or other
important company wants to make life difficult for osm, and they want to
play a 'dirty game' it doesn't bother them to loose a few 1000 euro in a
courtcase, and they can probably affort loosing it.

The purpose of the vwz - maatschappelijk doel - is probably the most
important part of the statuten. The vzw can only take actions within the
purpose as formulated there, so it is wise to formulate it quite
abstract and general. Changing the purpose in the statuten later has to
be done within quite strict rules, and can be difficult. For instance if
you refer to 'openstreetmap' and OSM would ever change it's name, you
run into trouble already.

Only the MAXIMUM membership fee has to be in the statuten. So it is wise
to put the amount fairly high, even with 30 years future inflation in
mind...

Unless the vzw wants to perform additional commercial activities (for
instance produce printable maps for private companies) the bookkeeping
work is quite elemetary - in and out - and there is no VAT obligations.

Insurance is something that has changed since I had vzw experience. If
my knowledge is right a vzw now has to have insurance for it's
collaborators during activities. I think however this is quite the same
for a 'feitelijke vereniging'.

Conclusion...

I am quite convinced that 'some kind of organisational structure' might
be nescessary for osm-belgium.

I am not convinced that, at current time, it is nescessary to put this
organisational structure in a vzw. That would become nescessary once the
organisation has -important- own possessions or assets, or could get
money from third parties.

Note that I am not opposed to a vzw - far from - but at current time I
do not see the advantages to a 'feitelijke vereniging'. I think it is
more important to have some structure first - have some meetings on a
regular basis, including (and most important for) new mappers. Putting
all this into a vzw form is then just a formality and can happen 'on the
fly'.

One doesn't get a good structure just by putting some bylaws into the
'belgisch staatsblad'...

Luc / Speedy