Some 'abandoned railways' are marked in OSM.

In some cases the location of the old railway line still exists, only
the tracks are removed.

In other cases nothing remembers at the railway line that 'once has been
there'

examples of these can be seen

north of Galgeweel in Antwerpen Linkeroever
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.21578&lon=4.36699&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF

south of Antwerpen, - Kiel, Hoboken, Wilrijk -

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.19507&lon=4.38472&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.1734&lon=4.40346&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

On these places new streets / houses are build where once there has been
a railway line.

Moreover these no longer existing railwaylines are rendered on the
maps.

Should abandoned railwaylines that are no longer visible on the terain
be mapped? Anyhow, in my opinion they should not be rendered. It makes
the map on some points a bit confusing.

In my opinion it only makes sense to map / render abandoned railway
lines that still are visible on the terrain, as there is an example here
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.128111&lon=4.443291&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

Luc / Speedy