2009/12/2 Luc Van den Troost <luc.a...@gmail.com>:
> Some 'abandoned railways' are marked in OSM.
>
> In some cases the location of the old railway line still exists, only
> the tracks are removed.
>
> In other cases nothing remembers at the railway line that 'once has been
> there'
>
> On these places new streets / houses are build where once there has been
> a railway line.
>

> Moreover these no longer existing railwaylines are rendered on the
> maps.
>
> Should abandoned railwaylines that are no longer visible on the terain
> be mapped? Anyhow, in my opinion they should not be rendered. It makes
> the map on some points a bit confusing.
>
> In my opinion it only makes sense to map / render abandoned railway
> lines that still are visible on the terrain, as there is an example here
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.128111&lon=4.443291&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

In my opinion these sould not be mapped as a railway when they became
tracks or cycleways.
When there is nothing left, nothing should be mapped.
When there are railroads left, but no longer used (like some old
military railroad in brasschaat, or the old railroad on de kaaien in
Antwerp) they should (may) be mapped as abandoned.

--
wannes