Interesting discussion here, and welcome to OSM Marc!

The subject of abbreviated vs non-abbreviated names in OSM is addressed in
the wiki at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Street_Names,
if you want the "official" (or accepted) party line (depends on how
"official" one believes the wiki to be, of course!).