Normally, you should map the streets, not the signs. So that would mean you
put the tag maxspeed=xx on the parts of the ways where you are allowed to
drive xx km/h. If a way is too long, you need to split it.

For other vehicles, you can use a tag like maxspeed:vehicle=xx. As example:
maxpeed:hgv=70 notes that heavy vehicles are only allowed to drive 70 km/h.

I don't know what wiki page you read that suggests to tag the signs instead
of the roads.

regards,
Sander