Ben Laenen wrote:

On Thursday 10 November 2011 17:31:10 Marc Gemis wrote:
I've read the wikipage on maxspeed tagging, but I have the following
questions:

- How does one tag the end of a zone, I cannot find the number of that sign
? Start zone should be tagged with BE:F4a

Zone traffic signs don't have numbers (with the exception of a zone 30 which has a specific sign number). You could invent something like zone(C43[50]) for a zone 50.

- How do you tag different speeds for 'cars' and e.g. +5t ?

Doesn't really have an agreed way of tagging. I made an effort solving this by making http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~eimai/verkeersborden/ (not finished, don't look at the highway tags; use Firefox, maybe Chrome works as well). Click the signs and the tags appear.

In this case it would be something like
maxspeed = 70
maxspeed[weight>5] = 50

It's sufficient that everyone understands it, the exact syntax doesn't matter too much for now, since there are no programs able to read it anyway for now.
See also
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Scope_for_access_tags

- In case I create individual nodes for the the traffic sign (as requested
on the wiki page), how do I indicate the direction for which the sign is
meant ?

This is an unsolved question... Some may use directions like N/E/S/W for north/east/south/west. But then you also need to be able to attach the node to the proper way (bridges and dual carriageways make this a difficult problem).

I would rather use the left / right suffixes in stead of directions, as they define the position always clear
(eventually  forward / backward, but it seems somewhat deprecated)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/right_left

Regards,
Gerard

Greetings