On Friday 11 November 2011 14:01:05 Gerard Vanderveken wrote:
> When the node is not part of the highway, its position left or right
> from the highway is enough to determine the apllicable direction of the
> way.

Many traffic signs are placed on the left side of the street, and not all of
them are just a repeater of the sign on the right...

Furthermore there's the problem at junctions, bridges, multiple roads right
next to each other, etc...

> But I would always tag nodes of the highway itself, for not having
> the confusion where a node belongs to.
> Apart from indication of the exact position, I don't see any good
> reasons to put signs outside the highway or to map them as sign in the
> first place.

It's exactly what our Flemish agency is doing with their
"Verkeersbordendatabank"
http://www.mobielvlaanderen.be/verkeersbordendatabank/index.php

Ben