On Wednesday 29 August 2012 13:54:32 Sander Deryckere wrote:
> I would like to discuss the naming of the arrondissements in Belgium.
>
> (...)
>
>    1. When people refer to "Antwerpen", they might mean the province or the
>    city, but never the arrondissement.

That's mainly because we never ever talk about arrondissements at all :-)

>    If they mean the arrondissement,
> that's always mentioned. And I believe that the name tag should reflect
> what people use to refer to the object.
>    2. This is also in the choice of the names of Wikipedia articles: They
>    name the articles Antwerpen
> (stad)<https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerpen_%28stad%29>and
> Antwerpen
>    (provincie) <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerpen_%28provincie%29>,
>    so the appended (stad) or (provincie) is just a clarification. But the
>    article of the arrondissement gets the name Arrondissement
> Antwerpen<https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissement_Antwerpen>which
> means it's part of the name.

I wouldn't take every little thing on wikipedia as absolute fact. I wonder if
they've thought about it themselves. And should it be "Arrondissement" or what
we usually mean with these: "Bestuurlijk arrondissement". Also, if you look at
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerpen_%28gerechtelijk_arrondissement%29 or at
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissement_Antwerpen -- if they thought it
was part of the name they'd have to capitalize the word, which they don't.

If you look at the website of the province of Antwerp:
http://www.provant.be/bestuur/grondgebied/ it says: "Verdeeld in drie
bestuurlijke arrondissementen, Antwerpen, Mechelen en Turnhout"
If it were really part of the name, one would have to repeat "arrondissement"
each time.

>    3. We can't expect non-OSM members to learn the mapping of the different
>    admin_levels. So if someone searches the Kerkstraat in Brugge, and they
>    return with a result of the Kerkstraat in Heist inside Brugge, they
> could wrongly think that they have the right street. While if the result
> would show the Kerkstraat is in Heist, arrondissement Brugge, the user
> might know it's wrong.

I don't consider this too much of an issue. If you search a place in OSM,
you'll now get the whole list municipality - arrondissement - province -
region - country.

>    4. Some people want to index the streets per city (to have a quicker
>    search). Because other countries use different admin_levels for their
> city boundaries, the only current way is searching the city node and the
> boundary that goes with it by the name tag. By using the city name for the
> arrondissements, these tools could get confused. (this last part is mainly
> the fault of Germany, where different admin_levels are used for different
> importance of cities). This also makes that Nominatim can't automatically
> add "Arrondissement" to make the search result of #3 more clear.
>

> Off coarse, setting the name to "Arrondissement Antwerpen" also makes the
> life of the mapper a bit easier (it's easier to browse through the
> different boundary relations), but this is of lesser importance than having
> the right data.

For once, I don't think we should consider the mapper too much here: once
these boundaries are mapped, that's it, they shouldn't really be touched
anymore.

Ben