Can't we contact the French and Dutch people that do similar things ?
For The Netherlands, there is this (long running) forum thread on the BAG:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=18311&p=1

They split the Db up in smaller (.osm) parts that can be imported in JOSM.
Then a manual edit and upload. There is some discussion on the need of a
dedicated user for the upload of the BAG data  (required by the DWG data
work group ?)

m.