I have a similar thing setup for a task for HOT; I created a service that
returns OSM data based on a tile specification or bounding box:

http://{hostname}:{port}/box/{filename}.osm?bbox=left,bottom,right,top
http://{hostname}:{port}/data/{x}/{y}/{zoom}/{filename}.osm

It's on github (http://github.com/xivk/OsmDataService) and installed on my
own server already.

Example with actual AGIV data:

http://www.osmsharp.com:815/box/AGIV_CRAB.osm?bbox=4.7792,51.25782,4.79665,51.26652

It's very slow for now because it's not using a database yet (it processes
all addresses on each request). I was now in the process of creating a
simple webpage where you can get a link by selecting a bounding box and
import straight into JOSM using the remote control option.

Does that sound like a good option for everybody or is it better to search
for another solution?

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen