The postal_code tag on the street is taken into account almost immediately.
Even after several days, the one on associated street does not work.I know
that somewhere you can see the backlog of nominatim, but forgot where.

The FAQ does not mention associatedStreet:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/FAQ

I don't know how to add a post code as polygon (as mentioned in the FAQ).
I've tried with placing it on an administrative boundary (Rumst), but that
did not help for the "12".
The is_in worked for some streets in Hombeek (was using the postcode from
Zemst on some, but not all street), but did not work for the ones in
Hingene.

When you dig deeper into Nominatim, the output of
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=40331960 might
become clearer, but I don't understand all of it (yet).