On 2013-10-23 10:28, Marc Gemis wrote:
You could also make a csv file with the diffs and open that with the OpenData plugin in JOSM. (see my presentation at ESI on import VMM monitoring stations )
But of course that requires people to install this plugin.

The great thing about having to go dig deep in the data itself is that it will be fairly easy to structure this the way JOSM does it. Since you already have to deal with different formats, why spend time on an extra one ? All you need to do is save 'the result' set locally and start looking at the format. It would be a huge feature. I'm not against csv's but their use is limited, xml's (not my favorite!) however gives a structure to the data and makes the data also more human readable. Next to being an established standard.

or you could add all changes in such a way that they are also added to the tool that Ben proposes.

I would just not invent a new output format to work with locally... Although using sqlite as a locale storage (whatever tool) would also help a lot speedwise.

When using subsets of data instead of 'everthing from bounding box', the plus-side of working with a limited dataset is that the manual editing , selecting things 'in bulk' is a lot easier in a tool like JOSM, as such JOSM becomes your tool to manually process and verify it. A well known tool... So you don't need to reinvent the wheel (validation for example). Just glue JOSM right in.

as an example, when Colruyt is taken over by Delhaize and you want to change the operator on all stores with name 'Colruyt', my steps would be:

- Export using Overpass, in the query decide if you want to do nodes or ways (or both). -> .osm file only containing the nodes I'm interested in (and metadata)
- Validate right of the bat to get an idea of the current state
- open in JOSM, search/replace using all features in JOSM (regex, case insensitive, key exact and non exact search)
- Do this again for all typo's in common keys (and delete the crap)
- Validate ( use errors to focus on certain keys )
- search for bad keys, stuff that doesn't belong on those nodes (always something lingering around)
- Check addr:* keys , all of them.
- Use Address plugins to complete missing information
- Validate
- Search for notes, comments and read them (they might give clues about problems you missed). Update them as you fix.
- Validate
- Prepare for merge problems (someone might have touched one of the nodes/ways)
- Now Fix remaining validation errors until it's 100% clean (or are false)
- Validate
- Upload
- Merge (if needed)
- Upload

Any tool that comes our way that supports OSM format kan be injected in any of those phases. That's awesome. I would be using a tool like that. Since it can take input from any source that you are able to bring to common ground, being OSM format. (XML). I would be using all tools that are suited and add value in such a way to meet a certain problem.

If the tools that parse CRAB would use plugins to read from a(ny) datasource ... Then you might be creating something that lasts. I would love to try it out.

Glenn