Call it wishful thinking, but what I want that plugin to do is the
following:

1. add the corresponding tags on the selected ways, which the sign affects
2. add BE:A1b or something of the kind on a node next to the way. This node
is placed where the actual sign is.

It now becomes possible to see where the tags on the way came from, call it
a source, call it fuzzy, if that makes you feel better. I call it
redundancy and I don't see a problem with that.

What I'm not sure of, is whether we should also add BE:A1b (doesn't exist,
I know, it's an example) to the ways.

Anyway, at the moment the plugin doesn't work that way. I created a few
tickets with enhancement requests:

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11080
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11081
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11082

Please keep in mind it's work in progress. I asked for help on this mailing
list twice. Feel free to help out. The file is on the wiki, it's easy to
edit it, if you spot any errors in it.

I think it may be needed to run josm-latest if you want to see the plugin
in action. It might have made it into the josm-tested which comes out
tomorrow, but then there will be some bugs still in it, that I'm ironing
out at the moment.

It may also have nothing to do with latest/tested. Not sure.

Cheers,

Jo