On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Jo <winfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what I'm saying is: we need more and better source material. It's not
> difficult for people to help out with gathering / surveying this.
>
> Then during a mapping party, we can focus on using these pictures to add
> details to the map.
>
> The mapping party would serve to bring people with specific interests into
> contact with people who know how to add /integrate them into the OSM data.

That's indeed a very good starting point. This is something that can be
done during a mapping party.

As a side note, pictures taking from cars do not always have the quality
that is needed to use for mapping.
I followed a track of pictures on Mapillary the other day, but the
destination signs (in which I was interested were barely readable.)
Typically to far away and the next one was past the sign. The problem to
read the name of a pub. Lot's of work to get the sharp picture in the right
spot.
But after reading the thread on the Dutch forum on Mapillary, I wonder
whether the company is interested in high-res pictures.

regards