Some background: the natural=water, water = x was proposed by Zverik.
His idea was to make it easy for mappers using aerial imagery to map
anything "water"-like with natural=water, eventually someone would add
the water=x detail. x, can be pond, stream, river, canal, oxbow, etc.
etc. [1] carto-css (the standard rendering can handle this tagging
scheme without problems).

Recently someone was complaining about this use for bassins. [2]

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water
[2] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2016-June/076144.html