Indeed many (most) docks in the Port of Antwerp are tagged twice / are
represented by 2 entities in OSM: once as an area (with waterway=dock) and once
as a linear way (waterway=canal). And I admit to be partly responsible for
tagging those docks like that.

Here is my take on the reason behind that scheme:
- those docks are relatively large bodies of water, hence the requirement for
the area to be mapped, with the according waterway=dock tag.
- but they are also used as navigable waterways, similar to highways, and
therefore (also) need a linear element, running along their centre
line/thalweg, to easily enable (logical) route calculation; e.g. brouter
already provides route calculation along waterway lines [1]
As a linear element, their function is imho more like that of a canal, hence
the waterway=canal. Of course, this especially makes sense for an actual
"Kanaaldok", but it might be disputable for a dock with only 1 entry/exit (like
a "cul-de-sac")

So basically it is very similar to the tagging scheme for (large) natural
rivers[2]: a linear, navigable way (waterway=river), combined with one or more
closed areas (waterway=riverbank), or the "street/highway area" scheme for very
detailed mapping of roads.

The messy rendering is of course a result of the fact that both line and area
carry the same name, but I suppose that in itself is not a valid reason for
change.

As to the types of docks on the wiki: certainly the description for dock=tidal
does seem counterintuitive or even wrong... not sure what to make of it...

[1]
http://brouter.de/brouter-web/#zoom=12&lat=51.3012&lon=4.3286&layer=OpenStreetMap&lonlats=4.277115,51.346912|4.412899,51.254556&nogos=&profile=river&alternativeidx=0&format=geojson

[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rivers