> My garden is a forest (really) and also, well, my garden; and then also
part
> of a residential area.

You could use the all of the following tags on the area of your garden:

landuse=residential
leisure=garden
access=private
landcover=trees
leaf_cycle=
leaf_type=

as a wrote a few months before, each piece of ground should have a
landuse and a landcover tag and optionally a leisure tag.

I do like the elegance of that. It makes multi use rarer. Still, in some
cases, there might be two uses which are really both within the same main
key. E.g. where I live is officially "parktuin", basically the government
explicitly states that the area should be residential and forest at the
same time. It is not residential which happens to have a lot of trees.

That is just an example. Basically I would wish we had a wiki page as
detailed as the one about bicycle lane tagging for landuse and related
stuff.