+ 1 for a wiki page about landuse/landcover mapping in Belgium.

I once found this interesting page about mapping the environnement in OSM
in Ukraine:
http://www.50northspatial.org/map-nature-openstreetmap-approaches-issues-key-tags/.
I think the OSM tagging should be adapted to countries/ecoregions and
consensus about which tags to use could be summarized in regional/national
wiki page.

To me, it is not a problem to map temporary things. Think about some shops
in the most unstable commercial areas: their life expectancy is probably
about one year, just like agricultural landuse. But I must say that, around
my place in Ardenne/Gaume, many meadows are permanent: there exist for
decades simply because they cannot be ploughed easily (presence of many
trees, no drainage and/or superficial bedrocks) and because they would
anyway produce too low crop yield.

For many applications (environmental applications and detailed topographic
mapping), it is also worth tagging forest with leaf_type=*, leaf_cyle=* and
even taxon=* for monospecies forests. But this is also something that
changes over the years. Nowadays, many fir trees (PIcea abies) are being
replaced by either deciduous/broadleaved trees or Douglas (Pseudotsuga
menziesii). Most of Belgian forest (especially in Wallonia) could be
remapped in order to add these specific tags.

So would you agree to make a wiki page for landuse/landcover mapping in
Belgium, and to discuss the issues there?

Julien