Since both the highway and the cycleway are separate (mostly parallel)
'entities' in OSM, I think it does make sense to use bicycle=use_sidepath.
For routing purposes, it's probably not needed, while editing in JOSM and
for highlighting using MapCSS it is handy to have the tags directly on the
objects they apply to.

Jo