Let's recap, I've seen no substantiation for the statement that thousands of hours of work will be lost.  I've seen nothing from any one else who has done any GPS traces in Ottawa.  I've seen two different places where the existing OSM map is 100 meters out from a GPS measurement.

Basically the map in Ottawa is unreliable but we don't know where.  There seems to be no way of knowing whether a road has been mapped by GPS trace or sketched in by hand.

The groups solution seems to be that in time enough people will magically come out of the woodwork with GPSes and remap the city.  It is likely that the same roads will be remapped over and over whist others will not be touched since no one knows what is happening.

I don't think I can take that to any of the groups I talk to from time to time.  The quality just isn't there to build on.

Cheerio John
Wiping out Ottawa, and importing GeoBase data will lose thousands of
hours worth of work that is not included in the GeoBase dataset.
Wiping out just the road network and importing GeoBase still leaves as
much work to realign all the rest of the data that was associated
with, or based upon the OSM road network.

James
VE6SRV