John Whelan wrote:
> Basically the map in Ottawa is unreliable but we don't know where.
> There seems to be no way of knowing whether a road has been mapped by
> GPS trace or sketched in by hand.

If I understand the process correctly, to do an import from Geobase you
would need to use a script
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase2osm) to convert the files
from Geobase to .osm files.

If you were to select a section of the city, do the geobase2osm
conversion, then open the existing osm data in JOSM as one layer and the
Geobase osm file as a second layer, you should be able to get some ideas
about which parts of the map need attention.

I suspect that this might not be much more work than a wholesale
delete+import anyway.  Remember that if you delete and replace a large
area, you will most likely need to do a bunch of fixing at the borders
of that area.