My initial mail seems to have been truncated and hopefully this will be
better

A quick look at the number of mappers that have contributed to the map of
Ottawa shows that there are a lot of individuals and that excludes the
rather minor contribution from the GeoBase import.  At least some of the
people that contributed to the map do not live in the Ottawa area but that
does not preclude their visiting and adding to the map.  I am also not sure
what tools they used to find the streets and POI but at least with some of
them I fully trust their capacityto produce very high quality work.

>From January 01, 2009, which is after the GeoBase import started in Canada
but before the Ottawa area was done, there have been 24 individuals that
contributed to the map in and around central Ottawa.  Of those 15 have made
contributions since at least June 01, 2009.  Even since September 01, 2009
there have been 8 people that have made contributions towards the map of
Ottawa.

Looking further at those individuals that have contributed to the Ottawa map
since January 01, 2009, and this is for the aggregate totals of all of their
contributions in the area, the totals range from a single contribution to
over 620 total contributions.

The source of this data can be found within ITOWorld http://itoworld.com and
look at the data for OSM.  The site requires registration but does provide a
great deal of data about changes to an area and the data within that area.

Wiping out the contributions made by all of these people is going to destroy
a great deal of work.  And I am pretty sure that a great deal is of good
quality as well.

Richard