Thank you some meaningful numbers on mappers at least which was not immediately apparent.   So it looks as if we'll just have to wait until the mess gets straighten out.

I found two on OSM, one wasn't active and the other, Marc Sensei,
didn't respond.  My premise of just dropping in the Geobase data was based on the fact I could only identify two other Ottawa mappers.  So it look as if not much had been done so far especially on the GPS side.  Thus doing the job quickly would save any more effort until we ended up with the clean map.

Since where ever the Geobase import and the OSM data meet there is a clean up to be done it appeared that given the apparent resources (two people) the job would be faster to just drop in the Geobase thus minimise the boundaries.  As it is it looks as if the area of up to 100 meters will need to be checked for omissions, joins etc.

Then the idea was given a decent set of roads to leverage some of the groups I come across on the planning side to add tags.  I don't think the Ottawa OSM map is mature enough to suggest it to them at this point in time with its missing segments of roads etc.  Perhaps in a couple of years when its straighten out.

Bye the way someone made a comment that I'd only mentioned two items being over 100 meters off.  It's now at least three and they were off in different directions.  All were in locations with clear sky above, I assume they were satellite tracings.

Cheerio John

Richard Degelder wrote:
My initial mail seems to have been truncated and hopefully this will be better

A quick look at the number of mappers that have contributed to the map of Ottawa shows that there are a lot of individuals and that excludes the rather minor contribution from the GeoBase import.  At least some of the people that contributed to the map do not live in the Ottawa area but that does not preclude their visiting and adding to the map.  I am also not sure what tools they used to find the streets and POI but at least with some of them I fully trust their capacityto produce very high quality work.

>From January 01, 2009, which is after the GeoBase import started in Canada but before the Ottawa area was done, there have been 24 individuals that contributed to the map in and around central Ottawa.  Of those 15 have made contributions since at least June 01, 2009.  Even since September 01, 2009 there have been 8 people that have made contributions towards the map of Ottawa.

Looking further at those individuals that have contributed to the Ottawa map since January 01, 2009, and this is for the aggregate totals of all of their contributions in the area, the totals range from a single contribution to over 620 total contributions.

The source of this data can be found within ITOWorld http://itoworld.com and look at the data for OSM.  The site requires registration but does provide a great deal of data about changes to an area and the data within that area.

Wiping out the contributions made by all of these people is going to destroy a great deal of work.  And I am pretty sure that a great deal is of good quality as well.

Richard