Hi all,
In other news...
I had a quick chat with John on the phone, so were upto speed now :)

What's cool is that now since i have the canvec roads data, available as a
.osm
called TR_1760009_1_Road_segment_EXTRA_NODES0.osm  (this file will be
available in all
future versions of the canvec-to-osm script, as i continue to convert areas)

What this file can be used for is simply doing as John sugested, to help out
the map a little. (and improve it's accuracy) so it becomes less than 10
meters. So it's OSM standard.

PLEASE NOTE the title of the file with 'extra_nodes'  this is because the
file contains extra nodes at the end of each way, which would cause problems
if imported directly (as you need to connect each way to adjacent roads in
order for routing to work)

So for your local area where your working, you can download that NTS tile
file  and have it open as another layer in josm (not as the 'active'
layer).  You can then work with it and slide the roads over.
Also, if your area hasn't been converted by the geobase-roads-crew (those
using geobase2osm)  this should help them out a great deal  (i think).

Since I personally have been in Vancouver Downtown, and have some of my own
traces uploaded, as well as see what other have uploaded, i can see how much
it's off.  So i can go ahead, and slide the downtown roads over.

And yes, its pritty much confirmed that the yahoo imagery is slightly off.
And once building
 outlines get drawn in, this becomes VERY apparent.  (we should probably
make that clear on the wiki somewhere)

Also, I noticed that the back alleyways of Downtown Vancouver have not been
mapped.  But are available from Geobase.  So what i did was made an .osm
file only,  has the alley ways, and so, people can do what they like with
it.  (copy it in directly, and attach the ways the roads, or tracing).

Each of use are just 1 person doing what we can, so or job is to try to make
the map better :)
... and Yup, it's also confirmed that we all want to have the map completed
yesterday.

Fortunately, edit by edit, and people learing day by day, this expands
exponentially. :) ... and the map gets better as a result.

cheers,
Sam Vekemans
(unofficial National Canada Data OSM Import Coordinator)