Unfortunately the yahoo imagery in Vancouver isn't good enough to see
bike racks anyways :(
The yahoo imagery at UBC is distorted also (wavy) on part of the campus.

Regardless, if we want to make a demo area at UBC with very high
detail mapping, then I would like to help as I am a student out there
as well.

The orienteering club has done a great job of mapping the campus over
the last few years (this is the map from a while ago, now the entire
campus is mapped:
http://www.orienteeringbc.ca/gvoc/maps/files/UBC.gif)
Unfortunately they do trace imagery so it isn't suitable for importing I think.

Russell

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Corey Burger <corey.bur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM, James Ewen <ve6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Corey Burger <corey.bur...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bicycle racks would certainly be a welcome addition. I look at the
>>> number around UVic and shudder.
>>>
>>> However, who holds copyright on the data? They need to sign off on
>>> importing it into OSM if it isn't licensed under fairly liberal terms.
>>> If you don't know then it is likely all rights reserved. Plant Ops may
>>> not have the ability to do this. Likely you are going to need to clear
>>> it through Legal, which can add time and headaches.
>>
>> So this brings up a question for me...
>>
>> If Gregory were to wander around the campus, and mark the bike racks
>> on his GPS, and upload that to OSM, it would be completely kosher.
>>
>> What if Gregory were to plan his outing to collect information by
>> referencing the copyright information in the campus map. Would that
>> make his information a derivative work? I would think not.
>
> If you are using the map to navigate, I think there is a pretty strong
> argument for deriviativeness. Better to simply wander around and find
> them in a very systematic way.
>

>> What if Gregory were to reference the location of the bike racks on
>> the campus map, and then use the Yahoo Map images to locate the bike
>> racks, and mark them on OSM. Would that now be a derivative work? This
>> I don't know...
>
> Yes, this definitely would be, because there would be no actual ground
> truthing.
>
> Corey

Russell