2012/7/31 Bruno Remy <bremy.qc...@gmail.com>:
> what!? do you mean "open"streetmap denies "open"data !!!? Come on! it's a
> joke?

Dear Bruno,

This is an old topic.  I'll summarize for you.

In short, yes, the OpenStreetMap community does reject a class of Open
Data.  We don't want data in OSM that we aren't welcome to have.  Some
data in incompatible because it is improperly licensed, low quality,
uninteresting or unsuitable for other reasons.

Here is more detail about the license problem.

Yes, it is wonderful that governments at all levels are learning about
the benefits of Open Data but governments are struggling to
participate effectively in the global Open Data environment.

The worst thing to happen in the Canadian Open Data environment was
the city of Vancouver.  They wrote their own data license, and it was
a terrible, regressive document.  Sadly, it was a terrible, regressive
document that had a lot of promotion behind it and several other
municipalities duplicated the Vancouver errors.  That set the Canadian
municipal Open Data movement back by at least two years.

Finally, now, municipalities are realizing the critical failure of
writing their own license and the benefit of adopting a common
license, drafted and maintained by international data law experts.
Slowly, municipalities are replacing their failed custom licenses with
something less-horrible.

We would have more data to consider, if more municipalities had
followed the excellent lead of Surrey, BC and Langley Township, BC.

Even if the license problems of municipal data could be solved
instantly, there is the matter of "suitability for OpenStreetMap".
You must be aware of and follow completely the import guidelines if
you wish to include data from external sources in OpenStreetMap.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_guidelines