2012/7/31 Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com>

> 2012/7/31 Bruno Remy <bremy.qc...@gmail.com>:
> > Thanks Richard for your considerations.
> >
> > While reading your comments, I'm carried to believe that :
> > wheras Canadian municipalities produce "scrap data" versus europenan ones
>
> I don't believe this.
>
> > Canadian citizen are less confident in theyr gouvernement's IT stuff than
> > European does.
>
> I don't believe this either.
>
> OSM in Europe has grown more effectively than in North America,
> because there are more _OSM contributors_ in Europe.  Not because
> there is more Open Data in Europe.  Much less data has been imported
> in Europe than in North America.

I totally agree with you about the number of contributors in Europe versus
in North America.
But I don't see clear correlation between number of contributors and number
of data (ways, nodes.....) because only 38% of contributors doesn't edit
data, and only 19% make recuring edits.
(source = http://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/1/2/146)

In the facts, most of main ways (coastlines, cities, roads, administrative
boundaries....) provides from Datasets mentionned here  (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue) But if you take the
time to analyse this import catalog
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue>, it's clear that *mostly
all datasets are provided by European* organisations (*only 14%* from
North-America).
So, YES Europe has more date but MOSTLY because of import of dataset.

*For sure, contributors maintained and enhanced acuracy of these data*...
but nobody can imagine that every single house and every single road has
been "handmade" by volunteered geographic information (VGI):

In this context, if I "introduce new mappers to OpenStreetMap" as you said,
*by telling them drawing manualy every single boundary administrative
of*36 % of Canadian municipalities in province of Quebec (n = 1 348) :

   - 300 hamlets
   - 728 rural cities
   - 295 urban cities
   - 30 urbain agglomérations

Wheather is good, sun is shining.... I'm not sure they will spend so much
time by in fornt of theyr computer, clicking on their mouse to add so much
nodes.... I'm not sure this is a "winner scenario" ....

Well... all those figures strengthen my feeling that North-America doesn't
like OpenData (14%) whereas Europe is very generous and "open-minded".

Best regards,